1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rye flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt
2/3 cup maple syrup, molasses, or barley malt syrup
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir together.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients in another smaller bowl and whisk until smoothly blended.
4. Pour the wet ingredients to the dried one and stir to get an homogeneous batter.
5. Put the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
6. Once down, let it cool in a rack.
The recipe makes 1 loaf and about 12/14 slices.
What do I think about this recipe?
It is an easy recipe to make and perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bread is very moist. So you can have it with or without butter or spread. The combination of the tree grains makes an interesting brown color. The darker the syrup, the darker the bread. It smells wonderful. Depending on the type of syrup that you use you will get a different flavor. Using the maple syrup, you can serve this bread for any types of meal. However, I would recommend to have the bread made with molasses for breakfast for its strong sweet flavor. I have not tried the recipe with the barley malt.
This recipe is from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas