|- Vegan Whole Wheat Bread with Wheat Germ -|
This recipe makes 1 loaf of 20 slices (at least).
- 2 and 1/4 t of yeast
- 2 T agave
- 2 cups water
- 1 and 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour + 5/8 cup for kneading
1. In a medium size bowl, mix yeast, agave and in warm water (between 100 and 110 degree Fahrenheit) and let it set for 10 minutes.
2. Combine and stir the whole wheat flour, salt and wheat germ in a large bowl.
3. Spray some canola oil in a baking bread pan and set aside.
4. Pour the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir well. If the dough is a little bit sticky add around 1/8 of cup of whole wheat flour at the time.
5. Knead the dough for 10 minutes (add flour as need) and shape it as the same form as you baking pan.
6. Place the dough in the baking pan, cover it with clear plastic paper, place it on the top of the dough and place the pan in the fridge to rise until it doubles in size or over night.
Note: (1) Spray some oil on the side of the clear plastic wrap which will touch the dough to avoid to stick when it will rise. (2) The dough rises pretty fast. I planned to let it rise overnight but after 3 hours in the fridge I was satisfied with the result and baked it.
|Ready to Rise|
|After Rising for 3 Hours in the Fridge|
7. After the dough had risen, cut the middle with a knife (1/4 inch in) and sprinkle some whole wheat flour and wheat germ.8. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degree Fahrenheit or until golden brown.
9. Let it cool down on a rack.
What do I think about the recipe?
Taste: The bread has mild flavor and you do not taste the agave which still surprises me because it has a particular flavor.
Texture: You will notice a soft texture at the first bite which is nice to the palate. Because of it dense texture, the bread holds well when spraying jelly or butter.
This bread is definitively a nice bread for sandwiches and fast and easy to make.
Happy Baking! :-)