|Healthy Whole Wheat Waffles for Mother's Day!|
Just few words to describe those Wonderful Waffles: Nice, warm, fluffy waffles with a crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside on your first bit. Delicious! Perfect for this morning special breakfast for Mother's Day!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY
Time: 45 to 1 hour
Servings: 14 waffles
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk (2% or fat free)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of mom's favorite extract (vanilla, almond, maple, etc)
1. In a measuring cup, pour the milk and add the white vinegar. Leave it stand for 10 minutes. Note: You are making soured milk. I know, it seems strange and even disgusting. I had the same reaction when I read it for the first time in a cooking book. Don't let it stopped you! You will not taste the vinegar (I promise) and will promote fluffiness by enhancing the baking powder activation. This first step is Very Important. You will not be disappointed ;-)
2. In a large bowl, all the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until well blended.
3. In smaller bowl, combine apple sauce, eggs, honey and extract of your choice and beat well.
4. Pour the egg/apple sauce mixture to the flour bowl, stir and gradually incorporate the soured milk. Note: Make sure that you do not over mix your batter.
5. Let you batter rest for 10 more minutes. Note: After 10 minutes, you will see some bubbles forming on the top of the batter. Do Not stir it Again! It would deflate the bubbles and impact the fluffiness of your waffles.
6. Spray your waffle maker and pre-heat it.
7. Once your 10 minutes are over, directly pour a scoop of the batter into your hot waffle maker. Note: Remember, NO Stirring!
8. Serve hot and Enjoy!
Happy Mother's Day!