Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Reduce-Reuse-Recycle: Spiders and "The Cat in the Hat" Toddler Flat Bed Sheets



- From Queen Size bed sheet to 4 Toddler Flat Bed Sheets -


As I was ready to get rid of a pair of sheet for our bed (the color was faded), I had the idea to reuse the sheet for Lucas's toddler bed. Our little guy will be using his toddler bed for 1 or 2 years at the most and it will time to transition again to a twin size bed. I did not want to spend money on sheets for such a short period of time. With 1 queen size bed sheet, I made 4 toddler flat bed sheets.


_________________________________



Material: 1 queen size bed sheet (black), left over pieces of fabric, Steam and Seam paper for applique, threads  of different colors, pencil, a template of your choice (the hat of The Cat in the Hat by Dr Seuss), and left over ribbon.


Sheet Brief Descriptions:

Black Bias Binding
I divided the queen size sheet bed in 4 equal pieces.




Sheet #1 and #2: Black on Black

I did a hem on the necessary sides of the sheet using some orange and black threads. The sheets have some interest on the front with a black bias binding. So, I did not add anything more.




The Cat in the Hat






Sheet #3: The Cat in the Hat

To add some interest on the front of the sheet, I did an applique (almost) in the middle top part of the sheet. I picked the hat of The Cat in the Hat by Dr Seuss to go with the posters, ceramic characters and mobile in Lucas's bedroom.










Sheet #4: Spiders

I added a piece of fabric on the top of the sheet to have a large bias binding with a ribbon (that I already had about 2" wide) and sewed on top.


Spiders - Flat Bed Sheet
Spiders - Flat Bed Sheet





Happy Earth Month,
Laetitia

No comments:

Post a Comment